Thursday, May 1, 2008

What am I? (plants & bugs)

I decided to make this a separate post. Now that all our snow is gone I have gotten out around the yard an came across some things I can't identify yet. Please, if you know what is in any of these pictures leave a comment and let me know.

What are these bugs? (click to see these larger)


When I did my spring clean-up a few weeks ago I noticed some powdery residue at the base of some vines that grow by our fence. I thought it was ashes. Today I noticed that there are now bugs there. They are small (maybe 1.5-2 mm) and white and they crawl around. I think they have been there other years, but I don't know what they are and I am concerned they will damage my emerging garden. A small bird actually discovered them first and has been picking at them.

What's this fuzzy plant?


I found this little plant coming up in a bed I will use for herbs. It's only an inch or two big right now, but I think it might be a weed. It looks kinda cute right now though.

What are these (flower) plants?


There are a number of these coming back from last year, but I have no idea what they will look like. This kind of mystery is okay because I know it will be something I like. The others above I'm not so sure about.

Thanks to anyone with comments!

1 comment:

ChrisND said...

After some research, I wonder if these are "woolly aphids". They seem to meet the description. I just hope that don't become a real problem with my Spring vegetables (none spotted in the garden).

I have cleared all of the dead vines and leaves from last year to remove their shelter. Otherwise I have been patrolling and manually taking care of them as they just crawl across the fence and gather in the morning sun. This combined with the elements, spiders, birds, and whatever else should hopefully take care of them.