Saturday, April 5, 2008

First Crocus Bloom 2008



Hey, I got my first crocus bloom of the year! I spotted this one in the front just beginning to peak out April 3 and got a shot of it open April 4. My photos from last year show a full set of blooms on the 15th. So, this year has a chance to be similar in timing. But, that's the only bloom so far and the last photo is from today (April 5). It's closed, I hope that isn't an agreement with the weather forecast...More on that maybe tomorrow.

So, is there some gardening signal that says I can plant very early spring crops when the crocus are in bloom? Well the timing will be close -- if you go by soil temperature it's pretty close. At least I can make sure some things are ready to go. Below is a photo of my makeshift pea lattice. I will see if it works. I also have some varieties of peas that only get a couple of feet tall, so those shouldn't need support.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it exciting to find the first crocus blooming?. It makes you feel like there is life after winter.

I use those same little fences in all sorts of situations. If I want to train my dog to stay out of an area I use them.

You have a pretty dog. I have a similar looking dog. My dog is supposed to be a white german shepherd but the vet thinks she has samoya (sp) in her too. ANyway she is big and furry.

ChrisND said...

That is exactly why I found the crocus to be a must. It is always a fist sign of spring.

You're right, you will notice a few of those little fences to train our "Dakota" out of the garden. She can jump them, but doesn't.

You dog Luna is also very pretty. Our baby is a Siberian Husky.