Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spring Won't Wait Long



It seems that the Spring season will not be stopped by weather. Well, there are some signs of life outside. Here is a strawberry plant and a returning plant in my wildflower plot out back. It's actually felt quite nice outside lately, especially when it's nice and sunny. These early spring days are nice before the heat of summer comes. I also got some early season weeding done while the soil is wet enough to get the invaders out easily. Plenty of time to spot friends such as Lady Beetles barely stirring from hibernation and Earthworms improving the soil.

I thought I would include a photo of one of the lettuce plants that have kept me company indoors since the late winter. I planted a crop in a 9-by-12 inch plastic storage container. In February it kept the gardening bug quiet. Now, when I know I can't stomp around in the soggy yard I can stop by to check on them and harvest some leafs now and then.




A note to myself of some topics to look into on a bored day: Companion Planting, Crop Rotation, Cover Cropping, Inter Planting, Succession Planting, Natural Signals, Growing Degree Days, Permaculture, Intensive Planting. If anyone has any good pointers about a topic, please leave me a note.

5 comments:

The Diva said...

Chris, welcome to Blotanical. How smart you were to plant lettuce seeds in a storage container. I know a woman who does daylily seedlings the same way. She's a hybridizer.~~Dee

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Nice to meet you Chris. I will look forward to seeing how your garden develops this spring.

ChrisND said...

I've got visitors, thanks for leaving comments.

Dee, that's interesting. Gardeners gotta do what they gotta do in the winter. I'm sure it won't be many years before every window in our house will be crowded in the winter - I hear it runs in our family.

Curmudgeon said...

Lettuce harvesting from your own garden is just so sweet. Nothing like the store bought stuff. Just this week we started harvesting a few lettuce leaves here and there from the seeds we planted under the cloche. It's our first year planting from seed--hard to tell what's emerging edible plant and what's weed. And I'm already running to keep up with the rhubarb. ==Curmudgeon

Connie said...

Hi, nice to visit your blog. I am a N.Dak. native...now living in Idaho, zone 6b, and I loving it!