Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rabbits, Vegetables, Spring - Oh My



Wow. It's been a nice few days and a great Saturday. Friday afternoon we came home a took a stroll around the perimeter. Oops, rabbits. I spotted evidence they have been in the tulips and crocus. We were walking the dog, so I plucked some of her loose fur and scattered in the bed. Maybe it will help?

I can't complain too much -- the last couple years they have only destroyed one plant that mattered. Although we never get tulips on the North side of the house (that's the rabbit run). Our vegetable garden is safe because 1) It's located near the house and 2) It's watched by Dakota our fear inspiring husky. Okay, actually she's a big baby and I think the rabbits just taunt her from the edge of the yard. As you can see Dakota loves that she can lay in the grass now that the snow melt has dried.



We have seedlings sprouts from a 04/05/2008 planting: leaf lettuce, bibb lettuce, spinach, and I'm pretty sure one pea.



Actually these were sown before our almost last snow. I figured the snow wouldn't last and I wouldn't have to water them in -- a gamble, but maybe it will work out. So, that's 14 days germination time for the lettuce, spinach, and kohlrabi. I won't count the peas yet since it's one sprout. To my surprise the radishes haven't broken the soil yet.

The seeds that germinated indoors from 03/26/2008 seem to be doing okay. I transplanted the lettuce and swiss chard in a container outside. That just leaves four tomatoes that are really taking off now. I will have to pot those up a couple times before they will make it outside. Also there are two cinnamon basil plants -- they're look fine and really smell like cinnamon!




The Planting Update:
  • Today (04/19/2008) direct sown
    • Sugar Snap Peas
    • Echinacea
    • Kohlrabi
    • Carrots
    • Snap Peas Ann
    • Bibb Lettuce
  • 04/14/2008 started indoors in 9-cells
    • +Echinacea
    • *Cinnamon Basil
    • +Nasturtium
    • +Lavender
    • +Johnny Jump Ups
    • -Parsley
    • +Wild Flax
    • *Purple Alyssum
    • On 04/19/2008 (5 days) + some emerged, * fully germinated, - no germination yet
  • (04/13/2008) direct sown
    • Sugar Snap Pea
  • 04/12/2008 Transplanted seedlings from 03/26/2008
    • Leaf lettuce
    • Bibb lettuce
    • Swiss chard
  • 04/05/2008 direct sown
    • Snap Peas Sugar Ann
    • Shelling Peas Strike
    • White Kohlrabi Hybrid
    • Radishes
    • Swiss Chard
    • Spinach
    • Leaf Lettuce Mix
    • Bibb Lettuce

7 comments:

Amy said...

Hello and thank you for paying my blog a visit :) That cinnamon basil sounds like one I need to try. So many great plants, so little time...

ChrisND said...

Yes. Not enough time and not enough space. It's fun to try some things and I do like basil plants.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Your dog is really cute. I have a granddog husky that I raised from a puppy. He lives with my daughter now(-: He is a real sweetie. I bet yours loves the snow and the cold.

ChrisND said...

Thanks. She does like the snowy weather too. We just got another Spring snow an she loves it! Although in the fall, a nice cool strawberry patch is also fun.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Dakota looks happy as a Lark lying there on the grass. I bet that no rabbit would mess with her territory.

Sarah said...

Is the dog hair helping the rabbits?

It never worked for us, we ended up mixing cayenne pepper with water and spraying it on the tulips every couple of days.

We had to make little fences to go around all of the trees and shrubs.

ChrisND said...

I don't think the dog hair really helped. The biggest thing that has helped was blocking some of the paths they like to take...

For the tulips and such, the rabbits like to crawl close to the house just under the siding overhang...so at each corner we put a barrier to make the rabbits leave the shelter of the bed.

Same thing for the main yard, there was a narrow protected corridor that they used to get to their den -- now they cannot use it.

We still have the rabbits, but they only feel safe taking the back way that has no plants to munch on.