Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Safari



It's another Sunday! Let's see what we can stir up in the garden...well not much on film. I don't know if it is because of some rain this last week or our North Dakota winds, but I wasn't able to find many bugs in the garden. I saw some bees and I saw a great dragonfly and the hoverflies are out in masses, but here is what's on film.

Above, one of said hoverflies. I like this one because it is a little larger than the others and a bright yellow.

I did get a shot of one of the bees. This one and another have been around for a while now. Before I thought it might be a leaf-cutter bee, but I am thinking it could be a mason bee. It seems to be a pair (if they do that sort of thing). There is this one and another with a lighter abdomen. I am convinced to either buy or build a mason bee house for next spring.


This wasp has been very hard to catch. It lives somewhere in the yard...don't know what kind it is or if it is aggressive. It's pretty flighty and this was the best I could do to record it today.


I will end with a common green bottle fly. They are kind of pretty even though they probably qualify as more of a pest.


Please visit the other Sunday Safari posts. I only know specifically of Cheryl at My Wildlife Sanctuary and Sherry at Q's Corner these are the ones who got me interested enough start thinking about what's in the "backyard". Anyone else who has a safari, let me know in a comment -- it's great to see what everyone has living in the garden!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Sunday Safari Chris. The pics were great as usual. I like the green bottle fly on the blue flower. They almost match. :)

Cheryl said...

Hi Chris.....that last photograph is lovely, how amazing...just a fly and it just looks so perfect on that flower...

I love the bee....a unit would be good.....I think you would enjoy it, it is fairly straight forward...

Great post....its good you join us every week....I look forward to seeing the bugs in your garden.....

ChrisND said...

Perennial Gardener: The metallic green is something "shiny" to find in the garden...I like the blue forget-me-nots, but have to pull them when they seed to keep the dog from walking in with many little burrs.

ChrisND said...

Hello Cheryl: Yeah, Sherry (Q's Corner) told me you were an influence for a bee box. They are so nice to have around and it feels nice to provide a home and habitat for some useful creatures.

chey said...

That's a wonderful idea Chris, a Sunday Safari post. You've captured some interesting subjects, and it sounds as if some of them are even becoming familiar:)! I agree that those green bottle flies are a tad bit pretty as well. Great shots!!

ChrisND said...

Hi Chey...I have to give credit to Cheryl and Sherry though. I found there sites and decided Sunday Safari was a good thing.

Once I started looking each week, I notice some of the same individuals and it's nice...sort of like having special friends :-)